A Few Events Taking Place in Your Area
May 13th – North Idaho Veterans Stand Down. A day of appreciation for Veterans and Families; there will be services such as Medical, Benefits Advocacy, Job Fair, Legal and much more. This event starts at 8:00 am and continues until 2 pm at the Kootenai County Fairgrounds 4056 N. Government Way in CDA. Admission with Military Id, VA ID or DD214. If you are in need of transportation call 208-215-1007 for more information contact 208-664-3095.
May 19th – Armed Forces day, brought to you by WVC Veterans Knights Club and Wenatchee Valley College. Free BBQ, Military Vehicle Displays, Games, Local Veteran and Community Service Providers. This will be taking place at 1300 Fifth St. Wenatcheee. If you have any questions you can email email@example.com or call 509-669-0601.
May 20th – Ride in the Lilac Festival Armed Forces torchlight Parade. Needing Combat Vet from all era’s starting at 4 pm at Monroe & Montgomery in Spokane, there is no cost to participate. For more information call 509-893-4743.
May 19-21st – Join the Flight! The historic B-17 will stop in at the Spokane Felts Field Airport on May 19th, you will get to hear the story of the brave men and women who built and served on the bomber in the 1940’s. For more information check out www.b17.org or call 800-359-6217.
May 29th – Memorial Day Ceremony at Peshastin Cemetery. Honoring all those that have served. Washington Female Veterans of Wenatchee will present the colors, National Anthem by Sarabeth Simonson, Amazing grace sung by Mike McNiel, and Taps played by Logan Sargent. Ceremony will begin at 10:00 Am.
May 29th – Memorial Day Ceremony at Leavenworth Cemetery. Honoring all those that have served. Washington Female Veterans of Wenatchee will present the colors, National Anthem by Sarabeth Simonson, Amazing grace sung by Mike McNiel, and Taps played by Logan Sargent. Ceremony will begin at 12:00 Pm.
May 30th – Memorial Day Celebration. Liberty Park Picnic, this is a Potluck/Bar-B-Que, the cooking will start around 11:00 am. Liberty Park is located on the South side of I-90 at the corner of 3rd Ave. and Pittsburg Street. For more information contact 509-994-7177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 9th – Family Day in the Park. On Friday June 9th from noon until dark at the Coeur D’Alene City Park there will be entertainment rides, and a movie. This event is open to the public and a fundraiser for North Idaho Family Group.
June 17th – Fallen Heroes Benefit Ride. Registration and breakfast specials start at 8:30 am, kick stands up from Jackson Street Bar at 11. Stops included will be Linger Longer, Past Time Main Street, Cruisers, and Curley’s. T-shirts available, prizes and games at each stop, and an Auction. Early Registration is $20, or $25 to pay at the door. To register early check out the event HERE.
August 4th&5th – 7th Annual Military Appreciation Day Tournament. Friday’s game will cost $100 per player regardless is you are active or Veteran, and will include a BBQ at Gus Johnson Ford. Saturday’s main tournament at Downriver G. C. will cost $125 per player, including a banquet at Northern Quest Resort and Casino. There will be live music, awards, and auctions. On line registration HERE, any questions call Chris Runyan at 509-290-4284.
October 7th – Honor the Bravest of the Brave Dinner and Auction. On Saturday at 5:00 pm at the Spokane Convention Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd, the community and business leaders want to honor the Bravest of the Brave. Proceeds will go to Inland Northwest Honor Flight whose mission is to transport local war veterans to Washington DC to visit the memorials dedicated to honor their service. For more information please contact Cheryl Chongoway at 208-819-6431.
- Sandpoint War Vet’s Group – Every Other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; Next meeting will be January 12th. Offering war veterans of all eras a place to meet and overcome the unique challenges of life after war. Open to veterans of all wars, on the corner of Pine and Division. If you have any questions call 509-844-1053.
- Sandpoint War Veteran’s Spouses Group – Meeting every other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; next meeting will be January 5th. Offering support for spouses and significant other of war veterans in Sandpoint. Call 509-844-1053 with questions.
- Breakfast with the Marines – From 8 am until 11 am on the Second Saturday of the Month! Breakfast is served at the VFW 1435; 212 S. David St. Spokane Valley the cost is all you can eat: $7 for adults $5 for Seniors (70+) $5 for four to twelve and under 3 eat for free. Come hang out and bring your Appetite!
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10th, 2001. Need some more information on what the VA can provide for students, check out the their website HERE.
- Military Family Scholarships – BestColleges.com has created a financial aid guide specifically for military spouses and children. They provide context for how students can best take advantage of available federal resources, and offer over 30 scholarships and grants for veterans, spouses, and dependents of veterans. Check it out HERE.
For more information on these upcoming activities or any questions send an email to email@example.com
To schedule an appointment get in contact with our Veteran Service Officer Bryan Hult today, 1500 Hwy 2, suite 122 in Sandpoint or call between 8:00 am and noon to schedule an appointment; 208-255-5291.