A Few Events Taking Place in Your Area
September 9th – March for the Fallen, Memorial March/Run to honor Washington’s Fallen Military. Opening Ceremony starting at 8:30 am at 7 Mile Trailhead, Riverside State Park in Spokane. 15k team Ruck march, 5k – 15k; there will be awards for each category. Register HERE or email email@example.com.
September 9th – John Burk with Country artist Hymn River Suite, presented by Gr8ter Veterans. Join us for the Fall benefit with special guest John Burk, Army Veteran and Motivational Speaker from 5:30 pm until 10:30 pm at 2426 N. Discovery Pl, Spokane Valley, Wa. Purchase Tickets HERE, for more information call Nick Richardson 509-953-3515, or Kyle Wagner 509-216-4958.
Septermber 12th – Vet Center Open House, all era, all Veteran and Family BBQ and Community Vendor Fair. This event will be taking place from 10 in the morning until 2 pm at 13109 Mirabeau Parkway in Spokane Valley, for more information call Andrea at 509-444-8387.
September 16th – 7th Annual POW/MIA Charity Ride & Poker Run. Riding starts at the Legion, Post 209-538 W. Broadway, Moses Lake Wa, Pre-registration ends August 25th. Riders will meet at 9:30am, kick stands up at 10 am; there will be winners for the best and the words hand announced at dinner. Riders are $25, passenger is $25, and $10 for any extra hands. Any questions, concerns, or to sign up please call 509-765-1126.
September 17th – 10th Annual Patriotic Golf Scramble. This event is to support the Bonner and Boundary County Veterans. There will be many prizes, snacks, and dinner; cost is $100 to sponsor a hole, $500 for corporate Sponsor, for a 4 person team of golfers $240 and $60 for individual Golfers. Please register at the Sandpoint Elks Golf Course Pro Shop 208-263-4321.
September 23rd – Free Veterans Clinic in Spokane. Get help with your parenting plan or division of Asset issues, there will be legal professional to assist with marriage dissolution issues. Eligibility will be given to anyone who served in the US armed Forces or National Guard (must bring DD 214), anyone currently serving in the US armed Forces or National Guard, or household income in Poverty Level. Please call 509-413-2415 for questions or to schedule an appointment.
September 24th – Veteran’s 5K Run/Walk, An opportunity to Support our Past, Present, and Future Veterans. Registration starts at 9:30 in the morning and the race will begin at 11 at McEuen Park in downtown Coeur D’Alene. $20 for Adults $10 for kids 6 thru 12 all Veterans are welcome for Free. Register HERE or call 208-416-4726 by September 10th for a free t-shirt.
October 7th – Honor the Bravest of the Brave Dinner and Auction. On Saturday at 5:00 pm at the Spokane Convention Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd, the community and business leaders want to honor the Bravest of the Brave. Proceeds will go to Inland Northwest Honor Flight whose mission is to transport local war veterans to Washington DC to visit the memorials dedicated to honor their service. For more information please contact Cheryl Chongoway at 208-819-6431.
October 10th – Avista Energy Fair. Event taking place at the Spokane County Fair & Expo Center from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. They will be there to go over bill assistance, community assistance and Energy Efficiency, the event is free parking, food, beverages, weatherization items and more. If you would like to attend the event contact Lisa Lee at 509-495-8024.
October 18th – Avista Energy Fair. Event taking place at the East Central Community Center from 3 pm utnil 6 pm. They will be there to go over bill assistance, community assistance and Energy Efficiency, the event is free parking, food, beverages, weatherization items and more. If you would like to attend the event contact Lisa Lee at 509-495-8024.
- Sandpoint War Vet’s Group – Every Other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; Next meeting will be January 12th. Offering war veterans of all eras a place to meet and overcome the unique challenges of life after war. Open to veterans of all wars, on the corner of Pine and Division. If you have any questions call 509-844-1053.
- Sandpoint War Veteran’s Spouses Group – Meeting every other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; next meeting will be January 5th. Offering support for spouses and significant other of war veterans in Sandpoint. Call 509-844-1053 with questions.
- Breakfast with the Marines – From 8 am until 11 am on the Second Saturday of the Month! Breakfast is served at the VFW 1435; 212 S. David St. Spokane Valley the cost is all you can eat: $7 for adults $5 for Seniors (70+) $5 for four to twelve and under 3 eat for free. Come hang out and bring your Appetite!
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10th, 2001. Need some more information on what the VA can provide for students, check out the their website HERE.
- Military Family Scholarships – BestColleges.com has created a financial aid guide specifically for military spouses and children. They provide context for how students can best take advantage of available federal resources, and offer over 30 scholarships and grants for veterans, spouses, and dependents of veterans. Check it out HERE.
For more information on these upcoming activities or any questions send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To schedule an appointment get in contact with our Veteran Service Officer Bryan Hult today, 1500 Hwy 2, suite 122 in Sandpoint or call between 8:00 am and noon to schedule an appointment; 208-255-5291.