A Few Events Taking Place in Your Area
June 21st – Community Day Event at Community Action Partnership located at 1506 Baldy Mountain Rd in Sandpoint from 1:00 pm until 4:00 pm. Join Community Action Partnership Team for a fun and education event! Learn different conservation tools, play games, enjoy lunch, and learn about different resources in your Community. If you have any question contact Shirley Paulison at 208-255-2910.
June 24th – Soldiers Run, the Registration starts at 9:00 am and kickstands up at 11:00 am. The run will start at Curley’s, there is a poker run, food, and a raffle, the after party will be at the Red & Black Spirit Lake Clubhouse. Registration is $10 per person or $15 for a couple, this includes a meal at the last stop. For more info call 208-625-0855.
July 8th – Inaugural Newby-Beyers Memorial Ride. 10:00 am sign in at CRV Outreach located at 2405 N. Dick rd in the Spokane Valley, there is a $20 suggested donation and all the proceeds will go to the Newby-Ginnings of North Idaho. This is to support and honor fallen heroes, there will be a BBQ, live music, and a giant water slide at the end of the ride. If you have any questions contact 208-755-2294 or 208-659-8884.
July 25th – Vietnam War Commemoration and Welcome Home Event. We want to recognize, thank, and honor U.S. Military Veterans who served during the times of November 1955 to May 15th 1975; regardless of location. The event will start at 1 pm at the Spokane Vets Center, 13109 E. Mirabeau Parkway, Spokane Valley, for more info call 509-444-8387. To receive a pin you do have to sign up for the event, there are a limited number of pins.
July 28th – CASA 6th Annual Scott Wemple Memorial Golf Tournament. To find out more and to registration online click HERE, the event takes place on Friday July 28th at 1:00 pm at the Avondale Golf Course. They are currently seeking sponsorship opportunities, if you need more information or have question call Donna at 208-667-9165.
August 4th&5th – 7th Annual Military Appreciation Day Tournament. Friday’s game will cost $100 per player regardless is you are active or Veteran, and will include a BBQ at Gus Johnson Ford. Saturday’s main tournament at Downriver G. C. will cost $125 per player, including a banquet at Northern Quest Resort and Casino. There will be live music, awards, and auctions. On line registration HERE, any questions call Chris Runyan at 509-290-4284.
October 7th – Honor the Bravest of the Brave Dinner and Auction. On Saturday at 5:00 pm at the Spokane Convention Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd, the community and business leaders want to honor the Bravest of the Brave. Proceeds will go to Inland Northwest Honor Flight whose mission is to transport local war veterans to Washington DC to visit the memorials dedicated to honor their service. For more information please contact Cheryl Chongoway at 208-819-6431.
- Sandpoint War Vet’s Group – Every Other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; Next meeting will be January 12th. Offering war veterans of all eras a place to meet and overcome the unique challenges of life after war. Open to veterans of all wars, on the corner of Pine and Division. If you have any questions call 509-844-1053.
- Sandpoint War Veteran’s Spouses Group – Meeting every other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; next meeting will be January 5th. Offering support for spouses and significant other of war veterans in Sandpoint. Call 509-844-1053 with questions.
- Breakfast with the Marines – From 8 am until 11 am on the Second Saturday of the Month! Breakfast is served at the VFW 1435; 212 S. David St. Spokane Valley the cost is all you can eat: $7 for adults $5 for Seniors (70+) $5 for four to twelve and under 3 eat for free. Come hang out and bring your Appetite!
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10th, 2001. Need some more information on what the VA can provide for students, check out the their website HERE.
- Military Family Scholarships – BestColleges.com has created a financial aid guide specifically for military spouses and children. They provide context for how students can best take advantage of available federal resources, and offer over 30 scholarships and grants for veterans, spouses, and dependents of veterans. Check it out HERE.
For more information on these upcoming activities or any questions send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule an appointment get in contact with our Veteran Service Officer Bryan Hult today, 1500 Hwy 2, suite 122 in Sandpoint or call between 8:00 am and noon to schedule an appointment; 208-255-5291.