A Few Events Taking Place this Month
January 25th-May 10th – Warrior Renew, healing from military sexual trauma for Women Veterans of all Branches and Eras. This is a 16 week meeting from noon until 2 pm every Wednesday at the Spokane Vet Center. This is to develop skills to manage trauma, tools to address unresolved issues, guidance toward radical acceptance of the past, and gaining inspiration to move forward. You will have to register for this, for an appointment to become a member of the Warrior Renew call Mary DeLateur at 509-893-4737.
February 7th – Traumatic Brain Injury Workshop starting at 11:30 until 12:30 pm. This event will take place at Spokane Community College Building 6, Lair Student Center Auditorium, Room 135. For more information call Workforce Transitions at 509-533-7274.
February 8th – Meet the Employers, from 9 am until 11 am at the Spokane Falls Community College: 3410 W. Fort George Wright, Spokane Building 17 in the Student Union Building. There will be an employer Panel , open job fair, resume and interview tips, with a Q&A time at the end. You do have to RSVP to Mike Helberger at 509-951-7629.
February 23rd – Myhealthevet & Ebenefits Workshop, from 11:30 am until 12:30 pm. This event will take place at Spokane Community College Building 6 Lair Student Center Auditorium Room 135. For more information call Workforce Transitions at 509-533-7274.
March 2nd-4th – National Veterans Creative Arts Competition. Taking place from 9 am until 5 pm Thursday and Friday and 10 until 1 pm on Saturday at the American Lake Division, Building 9 at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System. Deadline to turn in Artwork, Music, and Creative Writing will be Feb 22nd, contact 206-277-6161 to find out how to send. Categories will be music, Creative Writing, Fine Arts, Applied Arts, and Craft Kits.
March 16th – Veterans Town Hall meeting, taking place from 3:30 pm until 5 pm at the Veterans Outreach Center, 13109 E. Mirabeau Parkway in the Spokane Valley. This meeting is open to the public, all Veterans, and Veteran Service Organizations. The media may be present, if you have any questions you can contact Bret Bowers at 509-434-7378.
March 18th – Texas Hold em Poker Tournament, starting at 1 pm at the Black Pearl located at North Pines Spokane Valley. This event is sponsored by Veterans Community Response; Veterans Community Response is a non-profit organization composed of firefighters, veterans, and therapists working diligently to support combat veterans. No experience necessary to play, there will be cash payouts, and refreshments for all players. The buy in will be $50, contact Greg Wetzel at 509-995-8973 or email@example.com for tickets.
Continuous Events & Upcoming Events
- Sandpoint War Vet’s Group – Every Other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; Next meeting will be January 12th. Offering war veterans of all eras a place to meet and overcome the unique challenges of life after war. Open to veterans of all wars, on the corner of Pine and Division. If you have any questions call 509-844-1053.
- Sandpoint War Veteran’s Spouses Group – Meeting every other Thursday from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Sandpoint VFW; next meeting will be January 5th. Offering support for spouses and significant other of war veterans in Sandpoint. Call 509-844-1053 with questions.
- Veterans Pottery Classes – Meeting every Wednesday starting on January 18th from 6 pm until 8 pm at the Art Edge at St. Vincent DePaul in Coeur D’Alene. 6 week course free of charge, you will be learning hand building techniques, basic wheeling throwing techniques, glaze, decoration, functions, and sculptural applications. To register call 208-664-3095 extension 314.
- WorkSource Spokane – Meeting every first and third Thursday from 8:30 until 11:00. Topics covered will be: Educational Opportunities, Financial Resources, Veteran Health care, Employment Resources, Job Listings, Government Sites, Resume Assistance, Training Programs, and more. Located at 130 S. Arthur Street in Spokane or you can call 509-532-3104 with questions.
- Breakfast with the Marines – From 8 am until 11 am on the Second Saturday of the Month! Breakfast is served at the VFW 1435; 212 S. David St. Spokane Valley the cost is all you can eat: $7 for adults $5 for Seniors (70+) $5 for four to twelve and under 3 eat for free. Come hang out and bring your Appetite!
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10th, 2001. Need some more information on what the VA can provide for students, check out the their website HERE.
- Military Family Scholarships – BestColleges.com has created a financial aid guide specifically for military spouses and children. They provide context for how students can best take advantage of available federal resources, and offer over 30 scholarships and grants for veterans, spouses, and dependents of veterans. Check it out HERE.
For more information on these upcoming activities or any questions send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule an appointment get in contact with our Veteran Service Officer Bryan Hult today, 1500 Hwy 2, suite 122 in Sandpoint or call between 8:00 am and noon to schedule an appointment; 208-255-5291.